May 29, 1997
was no Larry Menaker as he took himself and his
drums to Crossroads to play rock and roll with
- There was no Scottso as he was working his way
through the travel industry in Spain, we assume.
- Coffee Boy Mitch sat in quite nicely on Scottso's
drums. Scott's poor drums
- Johnny was present for the first set but had to
go home for the Bull/Heat playoff game. Its
appropriate considering this is the day the Marv
Albert was accused of forcing a women to perform
oral sex on him back in February. We will watch
this case as it develops but I don't know about
you but I am rooting for Marv. I can't believe he
would have done this. Time will tell. or will it
- There was no Rich Brotman once again and Dennis
on peaked in every now and then.
- Shakedown was hot and flew nicely through the
song. By te time we started the jam we petered
out a bit and slowed down into a poor ending.
This is opposite our usual Shakedown where the
jam is good and the song is bad.
- The Rooster was powerful. I sang it which was a
- Candyman was okay.
- The Mama Tried was fair be it ended under duress
as Johnny kicked out a wire from Kevin's Box. He
replaced it just in time for the transition into
the Mexicali and we tried to continue but not
successfully. We tried to start the Mexicali
again immediately but that also failed. Once we
got going it was okay.
- The Loser was okay, te jam go badly lost during
the second round as Kevin only played the riff
once between jam verses and then went into the
verse as Larry and I continued with the second
riff. That whole second round was lost but we
recovered and went into a hot third round.
- Tom Thumb ended the set because Coffee boy been
drinking too much of his own product and smashed
the drums stick through the snare. Unfortunately
we didn't have a spare snare and attempting to
replace turned into a dilution. Before we knew it
Flourent was beckoning and the set was over.
- That's right, Flourent was orchestrated by
- It was a small order. Only Johnny, Kevin and
Larry had cheese burgers so I cannot comment on them. I had it my way on
the way into the jam (I went large) and coffee
boy went to the Union Square Cafe before the jam
(a place I gotta try) . I had some French fries
which we a bit soggy, but I examined Kevin's
latter on and he had crunchies. Lucky him.
- For dessert Kevin and I had Pecan Pie which was
not a crunchy and candied as usual. Kevin liked
it a lot, I thought it was mediocre. The made up
for it was a few strawberry slices on the fresh
- Dr. Peppers, Cokes, Snapples and Drake products
were also supplied. We also had Nabisco Sugar
Wafers which were not even opened.
- We started the second set by playing some of the
remaining songs from the first. Mitch applied
some duct tape to the torn snare. A band aid
solution at best. A duct tape solution at worse.
I don't know which is worse.
- Birdsong was spacey and fun
- Music was fair
- Box of Rain was well played
- Wharf Rat was fair and
- The Goin' Down the Road was just not good.
- We made up with a good night closer of the
powerful and fun Jack Straw. A Good ending song.
- There was no significant weather to
- It was a comfortable spring day.